It’s not really necessary for all of us to be SEO experts. But as internet users and professionals, we should all have a basic idea on how websites earn a high ranking position in Google searches.
- The fact that websites that are in the top organic results of Google searches are there because they’ve established themselves as a legitimate and reliable, over time.
- Google punishes websites that use cheap shortcuts to try to rank quickly.
- How to spot an ad versus an organic result in search results.
- The more reputable websites that link to a website, the higher its ranking.
- The more people share links to a site on social media, the better it does in rankings.
- New businesses need to work hard to establish themselves online – no one will find your new website if you don’t put in serious work to build a presence.
- For content to get better SEO, it needs to use popular search key terms naturally.
- One easy way to climb the rankings is to consistently add original content to your site in the form of blog posts.
Improve your SEO
Create great content. Google’s reputation depends on it leading users to high quality sites, so the better and more original your content is, the more Google will like you.
Write great title tags. Good title tags should be like an interesting newspaper headline but with relevant keywords included.
Get reputable websites to link to you. You can achieve this by gaining a good following and reputation among your customers.
Social media is a big part of SEO now and it’s only going to get more important. So if you don’t at least have a Facebook and Twitter page for your business, get on it.
Make sure your website is optimised for mobile. When someone is searching for something on a mobile device, Google will now promote websites which are mobile friendly ahead of ones that aren’t.